January 31, 2012

Stuff

(Exhale...)

It's been 7ish days since my last post; it seems it would be a good time to update.  I've even been feeling the need to write, but maybe it's more to get my thoughts in order, rather than to try and create something for public consumption. 

I dunno; let me see where this goes.

My thoughts are all over the place, but a major theme as of late has been death--there's been a lot of it.  It seems like every time I open my email, I can expect notice of someone's passing; you'd think I'd smarten up and quit checking my messages.  Haha--not really, but I tell you, somedays..... I have to remind myself to breathe as my inbox loads.

The most recent passing was that of a man I've only ever crossed paths with a few times in my life; perhaps that is why this deep sense of loss is so striking.  My earliest memory of Dellas is not even a clear one; I only recall that he was on the Big Island for special meetings at some point during my childhood.  What does remain crystal clear is the memory of my mother on the car ride home and in the days after those meetings, listening to her speak of all that had spoken to her heart; it was evident that what Dellas had shared that day resonated with her in a way that would affect her spirit, her choices, her life, even if only for a little while.  A child does not soon forget the person who has spoken a message that moves her mother so deeply.

In 2010, we were fortunate to be at two conventions with Dellas; first at Olympia, in August, and then at Hawaii, in November.  The smaller size of the Hawaii convention seems to lend itself to more opportunities for visits with various ones; one evening, my (tall, slender, handsome) brother and I were standing with Dellas, waiting for dinner to start, when he asked us, "So, you two are brother and sister, hm?"  "Yes."  He looked at Kale and pronounced, "Looks like you got all the food growing up."  It makes me laugh to remember the kolohe (mischievous) look in his eyes as he said this; I reassured him that I got my fair share, along with the misfortune of only growing sideways, instead of "up."

So, we are Salem-bound on Friday evening to attend the funeral of this man who gave his entire life for the ministry.  I remember being struck by the gravity of that as we listened to him speak at Hawaii; he was seated, too weak to stand for the duration, but remaining faithful in delivering the same powerful message.  This image has oft encouraged me in my place since then. 

He will be missed.

3 comments:

Kale Recaido said...

I don't remember much about Uncle Dellas, just that I really liked him. When I'm standing by Josh or Noah they usually say the same thing...

Do you have an extra seat in the car :-)?

Noah Recaido said...

I love what you said about remembering someone that makes an impression on mom. That would happen to me too.

The food part made me LOL.

GIEJ Long said...

I was thinking the same thing, DoRe, so many death news lately, I can hardly believe it. And some of them young... Now it'll almost be a year since my father passed away, it seems just like last month... He was 68. I miss him!!
Look forward to see you some time again! ~Ivona