September 27, 2011

Rambling, in a Purposeful Sort of Way

Yesterday morning brought with it what most consider typical Seattle weather: wet, cold, wet, dark, wet, gray, wet --you get the idea.


Despite my island roots, I love days like that--days where the only sensible things to wear are sweats and fuzzy socks; when my thoughts suddenly turn to those books I've been meaning to pick up again; and I entertain the possibility of doing nothing but swirling coffee (makes it much more enjoyable), and writing to my heart's content.

Coincidentally, Mondays also usually happen to be my grocery-gettin' days, and after much back-and-forth, hemming-and-hawing, and a realization that I lacked the general creativity to throw together a decent meal with the last three cans-of-whatever in the pantry, I decided to brave the weather and fulfill my wifely/motherly obligation to gather food for my family.  (Run-on sentence if ever there was one.)

As I sloshed into Costco, my phone rang, and it was none other than Mr. Arnall, "just calling to say hi."  Actually, what he said was: 

"Hi, babe.  Whatcha doing? You're already out shopping?  Oh--nice!  What am I doing?  Oh, I'm just (sitting here on my dry, comfy chair, in my nice, warm office, at my big, pretty computer, looking at your fantastically awesome blog, and) wondering why you haven't posted video of our daughters singing yet?"

(That may not be verbatim, but sometimes things get lost (or found) in translation.)

So, because I'm all about making my husband happy, and just a tiny bit about showing off my daughters, here are a few shots and videos from the concert on Bainbridge Island this past Saturday (be sure to hit the "pause" button on my playlist to the lower right):

The theater.

Getting ready for the show.

What Daniel would look like if he was beautiful.
(according to my sis. :D)

Practicing "Grass Shack" one more time.

Perfecting "Pupu Hinu Hinu."

Running off some of the pre-show jitters.
The Little and the Middle.
Waiting to sound-check.

"Check, one-two...check, one-two."

They miss each other.

Theater starting to fill with friendly faces.
 Hi, Jean & Darin!

Dad starts off the evening.

Dad started off his set with James Taylor's "One Man Parade." It was one of the most solid vocal performances I've heard from him, live or recorded.  Wish I had video of it; instead, watch this video of him performing his classic original, "Forest," a song he penned at the tender young age of 15 :



The girls joined Dad onstage after a bit, and sang "Pupu Hinu Hinu" before
Uncle Josh joined them for "Little Grass Shack":
The girls' turn!


Eddyville took to the stage shortly thereafter, and strutted their stuff; very talented musicians, with good chemistry, and enough energy to hold the crowd's attention for a couple of hours.
Welcome to Eddyville.

Dave

Bruce

Jason

Darren
There is one more band member--Kyle, Eddyville's saxophone personist. (Only Miki can come up with stuff like that. :-D)  Apparently, my camera moves too slowly to catch him--he's a blur in all the pictures.

(Admittedly, I needed to check out their Facebook page to make sure I got their names right.)


Darren's drum solo, and some of the more energetic fans:  :)

Tired, happy girls.  Papa was far more excited about how the
evening went than this picture reveals.

It was a great evening, as good friends and good music often make for. 

For more info on Eddyville, check out their website: www.eddyvillemusic.com
Don't forget to "Like" them on Facebook, too: www.facebook.com/EddyvilleBand.

And if, for some weird reason, you are my friend, but still haven't looked my Dad up yet :-D:
 www.ReverbNation.com/charlesrecaido 
www.myspace.com/chasrecaidoproject

Happy Tuesday!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

great pictures
great singing
great dancing!

So fun! I especially love that your husband was reading your "fantastically awesome blog" from his warm comfy chair.

We've had a taste of the NW here in the Midwest this week - rainy and cloudy for the past six days (but who's counting?). I'm having trouble getting motivated to much of anything except stay in my jammies as much as possible.

Enjoy the rest of your week!
~Michelle

Heather said...

So I was reading your fantastically awesome blog and as I was looking through the pictures I saw the adorable picture of Miki and realized today is Miki's Bday. Hauoli La Hanau Mikela! Love u lots & miss u!